Cosmetic ear surgery – Otoplasty is an aesthetic surgery procedure to reshape or reduce protruding ears in size. In other words, otoplasty is a kind of pressing the ears to the head. The aim of the operation is to decrease the angle between the ear and head. The essence of the operation is to simulate the shape of the ear cartilage. Most of the otoplasty patients are children. The most suitable time for having cosmetic ear surgery is between ages 4-15. However, this operation can be done at all age.
Otoplasty operations generally take 1-1.5 hours.The peak of operations is during the summer holidays. The technique for correcting lop-earedness is absolutely perfect and there is no need to invent something new.
Aesthetics of the auricles – elimination of defects of a congenital and acquired character. Otoplasty does not affect the functioning of the hearing aid, the degree and quality of sound perception. It is carried out solely for aesthetic reasons.
How is cosmetic ear surgery performed?
Otoplasty (cosmetic ear surgery ) is performed behind the ear. Ear is reshaped by weakening the curves in the ear cartridges, through permanent inner sutures. Then, earlap is taken backwards. One wears dressing on his/her ears for 3-7 days after the procedure. When these dressings are removed, one can have a shower. After the cosmetic ear surgery, bruises and swelling may be observed. These complaints will end after a short time. It is important for the ear not to receive a blow for 3 months following the otoplasty. The ear will gain its shape within these 3 months and will never lose it.
Cartilage tissue is generally elastic in children. In these cases, earlap can also be shaped with invisible subdermal sutures, without making any incision. The physician’s examination is very important in selecting the technique to be applied.
The procedure includes various types of intervention:
- Otoplasty – invasive surgery to correct any defects in the relief, shape and size of the ear, creating symmetry;
- Reconstructive otoplasty – surgical restoration of fragments of the auricle, correction of cartilage fractures, ruptures of the tissues of the lobes, elongated as a result of wearing heavy ornaments of the skin;
- Filler injection – with the help of fillers they harmonize proportions, smooth the skin, remove wrinkles and folds, replenish the volume of tissues lost with age.
This type of cosmetic ear surgery provides for the elimination of cosmetic imperfections. This category includes protruding ears, large auricles, or asymmetrical ears. An indication for performing aesthetics is the approximate compliance with the generally accepted criteria of the norm.
So, the shape of the ears is considered normal if:
- The lower point of the earlobe is flush with the lower part of the nose;
- The upper point of the ear and the outer corner of the eye are on the same horizontal line;
- The length of the lobe is 2 cm or less;
- The angle between the plane of the ear and the body of the head should be no more than 30 degrees;
- The conchostate angle should be within 90 degrees.
Aesthetic otoplasty is used for:
- underdevelopment of the antihelix;
- excessive development of the ear cartilage tissue;
- protrusion of the fleshy part of the ear (lobe);
- existing excessively large auricle.
All these factors are aesthetic defects and can be easily eliminated with otoplasty in childhood and adulthood.
This type of plastic removes complex defects arising from the underdevelopment of the external part of the auditory organ, when it is injured and even in its complete absence. This list includes diseases such as macrotia, microtia, atony, lobe and curl deformities.
Reconstruction of the outer hull is a series of complex operations involving the use of modern special correction methods. For example, to restore a part of the ear, a piece of cartilage is cut from the rib and a transplant is grown on its basis. Subsequently, the skin is engrafted on it.
Depending on the method of implementation, otoplasty is divided into 3 types:
- Scalpel. This type of operation is outdated today, so it is cheap. The scalpel method involves the use of a scalpel during the operation. It also implies a long rehabilitation period and the risks of complications.
- Laser. This is a fairly popular way to perform the operation. Its advantage lies in the speed of the operation, in the short rehabilitation period, in the accuracy of the incisions and the bactericidal effect on the tissues. Under the influence of the beam, the cartilage tissue softens and is easy to cut. Thanks to the laser beam, the incision lines are executed smoothly, accurately and without blood loss. They heal quickly and the risks of blood loss are minimized. The cost of such operations is higher than the price of scalpel operations, but the quality is worth it.
- Radio waves. This is a new and little-studied method of conducting operations with a radio wave device. The incisions are made using radio waves. The accuracy of the incisions, low trauma, bloodlessness, quick wound healing and the absence of traces of incisions attract patients and surgeons. Today, this method of surgery is at an experimental stage and is used so far only in a few clinics.
Cosmetic ear surgery is performed to exclude certain cosmetic defects. For example, significantly protruding ears, a very large size of the auricles (lop-eared) or their asymmetry. Aesthetic deficiencies can bring a lot of unpleasant sensations of a psychological nature, especially in childhood. In view of this, with obvious deviations from the standards, they resort to otoplasty.
Reconstructive otoplasty may be needed if there are congenital anomalies of the auricles:
- microtia – a small auricle deformities;
- makrotia – a large auricle deformities;
- anotia – not existing of outer ear;
- lop- redness in the ear;
- bending deformities in the ear;
- ear lobe deformities;
- basic ear parts problems
Reconstructive plasty is also performed when the ears are distorted or completely lost due to some kind of trauma.
Contraindications of Cosmetic Ear Surgeries
- violation of blood clotting;
- infectious diseases;
- exacerbation of diseases of internal organs;
- inflammation of the ear, nasal cavity and throat;
- oncological diseases;
- immunodeficiency states.
Preparing for Cosmetic Ear Surgery
Otoplasty has its own principles of preparation for surgery. Namely, measurements of the auricles are taken, photographs are taken, and a consultation with a surgeon is carried out, where all possible questions are considered. It is imperative to conduct a standard medical examination, as before any operation.
Before otoplasty, for about two weeks, you must refrain from taking medications that affect blood clotting. It is recommended to stop smoking and alcohol at least a month before the operation (this also applies to the postoperative period).
Duration of Ear surgery
The duration of otoplasty is usually from 30 minutes to 2 hours. In most cases, the procedure is performed on an outpatient basis, after which the patient can go home, provided that all the doctor’s recommendations are followed. After the operation, the patient is put on a special bandage, which he wears for up to 10 days. Further, regular wearing of a bandage is not required, unless during sleep for a month, so as not to injure the auricle.
When is the Best Time to Have Otoplasty?
The growth and changes of the auricle occur almost throughout life, but still the greatest changes relate to childhood. Ear plastic surgery can be performed from the age of five. For some children, lop-earedness is the cause of serious psychological discomfort due to the constant ridicule of peers, as well as the feeling of being different from them. Timely surgery will not only save his nervous system, but also help to increase self-esteem in the future.
How is the post-otoplasty process?
You can immediately get back to your everyday life after the operation. After the operation, the patient should be prepared for the fact that in the first days the auricles may look swollen and have a bluish tint. Small hematomas are also possible, there will be a gradual restoration of sensitivity in this area. Puffiness and bruising are most pronounced in the first 5 days, the result can be assessed by the end of the first month. The stitches are removed on the 7th day. 1 – 1.5 months it is recommended to wear a compression bandage at night. Shown is the restriction of sports, heavy physical exertion, saunas, baths for a month after the operation.
If non-absorbable sutures were used during the operation, they are usually removed after 2 weeks. There are also restrictions on physical activity. Some patients have questions about the possible effect of the performed otoplasty on hearing. This operation has no effect on hearing.
Does Cosmetic Ear Surgery Leave Any Scars?
Because the scar left by the cosmetic ear surgery that does not require incision will be at the back of your ear, it will recover fast and will be almost invisible. Thanks to this operation that does not leave any scar in the visible parts of the ear, deformations are eliminated and you get very natural ears.
COMPLICATIONS AFTER OTOPLASTY
Complications after otoplasty are rare.However, not everything depends on the patient’s patience – there are moments that are completely individual for each organism. Exactly how your recovery period after the operation will go can only be assumed in general terms.
The main complications after otoplasty include:
- Inflammatory process
- Epidermolysis and maceration of the epithelium
- Allergic reactions to compounds used to treat wounds
- Asymmetry and incomplete correction
- Keloid scars
Bleeding after surgery is completely normal. As well as small hematomas. Since any surgical intervention is an injury, you need to be patient and wait 7-10 days. As a rule, during this period all troubles stop. If the bleeding after the operation was severe, and there were additional aggravating circumstances (for example, you accidentally pulled off the fixing bandage in a dream and injured the freshly operated ear), then the direct road is again to the surgeon. Hematomas located in the front ears are more risky than the hematomas located on the outside of ears. That look worsens the operation results and aesthetic look of ears and plus it can carry risk of catching infection.
Hematomas on the front of the ear are more dangerous than on the outside. First, they reduce the achieved aesthetic result (as a rule, they look like cyanotic or purple “bubbles” full of blood). And secondly, there is a risk of infection.This kind of hematoma should be operated again.
The inflammatory process is difficult to miss, since it will be accompanied by pain, pulsation in the ear and an increase in body temperature. If any of the above is present, see a doctor immediately. The infectious process in the wound is dangerous, as it can lead to cartilage necrosis and the need for reoperation.
Epidermolysis and maceration of the epithelium will also not go unnoticed, since they have a characteristic appearance – the skin at the site of intervention exfoliates and bubbles. In mild cases, special therapy is not required and goes away by itself after a few days.
Allergic reactions to drugs used to treat wounds. The bad news is that they can cause significant discomfort, especially with skin manifestations – pain, itching. Symptoms are relieved after taking antihistamines.
Asymmetry and incomplete correction are complications that can be appreciated after your wounds have healed. It can be connected both with the individual characteristics of your tissues, and with the fact that you did not follow the doctor’s recommendations for care.
Complication is rare – as a rule, a qualified doctor does not allow it.
Keloid scars. Having keloid after the operation, related to the patient’s body. Few patients have this kind of tissue deformation in the form of a tumor in their bodies.
Perichondritis is an inflammation of the membrane covering the ear cartilage. It occurs relatively rarely, but it can be very dangerous, since in some cases it can lead to necrosis of the cartilaginous tissue.
How much does otoplasty cost?
For Ministry of Health-accredited centers, it is not legal to specify prices on their website. Therefore, please dial 0212 241 46 24 to contact our polyclinic and get information on our cosmetic ear surgery prices.