Our facial beauty and health can be negatively affected by a congenital deformation, breathing problem, curvature in the nose or malformed nose due to a blow or accident. Not shaped nose can worsen the face appearance and can cause self unconfidence and breathing problems. Deformities in the nose reflect the facial shape and nowadays it can be fixed very easily with rhinoplasty. Our doctors can fix and change the nose shape and breathing problems by nose surgery.
What is rhinoplasty (aesthetic nose surgery)?
Rhinoplasty (aesthetic nose surgery) is an operation that aims to change the shape of the nose and harmonize it with the face shape for a more natural appearance.
The following conditions can be corrected with rhinoplasty:
- Shrink or enlargement nose with grafts
- Straighten the bridge of the nose or the nasal concha
- Reduce the size of the nose wings
- Correct the angle between the nose and the lip.
- Traumatic deformities that occur after some accidents can be corrected.
- After nose surgeries, breathing and snoring problems can be corrected or eliminated in the same session.
Individual observation and surgery is required to perform nose surgery (rhinoplasty) and achieve a high-quality result. The surgery usually lasts until the doctor gets a good result because each patient has a unique nose structure and the techniques to be applied are also specific to the patient. Rhinoplasty surgical techniques are divided into two as open and closed.
In the open technique, incisions are made through the nose and a small incision is made in the skin between the nostrils. In the closed technique, only incisions are made through the nose from mucosa.
During the surgery, necessary actions are taken depending on the situation – modeling the cartilage of the nasal tip, removing the curvature of the nasal septum, correcting the nasal “hump”, narrowing the bony part of the nasal ridge, correcting the enlarged turbinate, positioning the nasal tip.
Surgery usually ends with a small plaster cast, which preserves the tissues during healing, maintains the shape of the nose, and helps reduce swelling. A small swab is placed in each nostril, which is removed in the early postoperative period.
After surgery, there is always edema that gradually disappears. There may be a slight tendency to nosebleeds for the first few days (don’t blow your nose – it may cause nosebleeds) After 10-14 days, the plaster is removed. Swelling may persist for up to four weeks. Confidence in the final result can appear no later than six months later.Intense physical activity should be avoided for three weeks after nose surgery. Contact sports such as wrestling, basketball and handball should be avoided for at least two months.
Who is Suitable for Rhinoplasty – Nose Job?
Individuals with good general health can have rhinoplasty (Nose Job). Men and women who decide to have aesthetic nose surgery generally want to have a more beautiful appearance. The reasons for wanting to have rhinoplasty are as follows:
- Having a belt on the back of the nose
- The person’s nose is large for the face
- The person’s nose is small compared to the face
- Having a wide nose
- Low nose tip
- Nose tip drooping
- Wide or disproportionate nostrils
- Nose curved to the right or left (deviation)
- Having previously undergone rhinoplasty and not getting the desired result (it can be corrected by secondary rhinoplasty).
- The root of the nose is larger than the tip of the nose
- Defect in the nose as a result of a previous accident
- Breathing problems as a result of curvature in the nose (in patients with narrowed nasal cavity, breathing problems can be eliminated with techniques such as septoplasty, concha treatments with flesh size determination, valve repairs if cartilage insufficiency is present).
Are the Results of Rhinoplasty Permanent?
Results of the rhinoplasty are permanent. As we get older, our body experiences some changes. Not only the body, but also the nose changes. The skin gets thicker and cartilaginous tissue may grow.
If required, rhinoplasty procedure may be repeated a couple of times to eliminate that. However, the rate of success reduces with every attempt. For this reason, patients who decide to have a rhinoplasty procedure must make the right decision with a doctor.
A person should be confident and definitely ready to have a rhinoplasty. Choosing the right doctor is very important (dial 0212 241 46 24 to contact us).
Which technique is rhinoplasty applied to?
Our doctors can do aesthetic nose surgeries in two distinct types, we call them an open rhinoplasty and a close rhinoplasty. Our doctors can decide the operation method with the patients, however it also depends on the nose shape, requirement and expectations of the patients and the extent of the doctors planned manipulation to the nose parts during the session. During open methods doctors mostly try to fix the nose tip and nose bridge.
Closed rhinoplasty can be applied for these kinds of cases but the patient should not have visible deformities in the nose. Our doctors can decide on the method after examination.
Open rhinoplasty leaves a small incision scar under the nose, however after some time this scar is fading. In closed nose operations incisions are done inside the nose. Our doctor can do combined facial and body operations with the rhinoplasty at the same session.
The two main types of rhinoplasty include “open” and “closed”, although there are other types of aesthetic nose surgery:
- Closed rhinoplasty, that is, incisions are made inside the nasal cavity. Closed rhinoplasty is more difficult than open rhinoplasty, but the advantage is that the arteries that feed the tip of the nose are not damaged. Thus, recovery is faster than with the open method. Also, the incision is smaller, the edema is less pronounced, and there is less likelihood of rough scars. The operation takes less time and the final result appears earlier.
- Open rhinoplasty, that is, at the narrowest point, an incision is made, then the rest of the skin over the cartilage is peeled off and lifted. Thus, all cartilage is exposed and work is carried out at all stages of the operation. Open rhinoplasty allows the surgeon to see the osteochondral base without displacing and stretching the tissues, in order to understand what gives the nose an irregular shape.
The scars after open rhinoplasty are fading by time, you do not need to be afraid about the scar. There will not be a bad looking scar after open rhinoplasty.
- Endoscopic rhinoplasty, The operation is carried out using special optics–a small endoscope. Our doctors are doing endoscopic rhinoplasty under general anesthesia. It takes one or two hours for the doctors to correct the septum deviation inside the nose, to take out the pathological findings from the nasal cavity and so on. There are less traumatic manipulations to the nose than other methods and the rehabilitation process is faster than other methods.
- Laser rhinoplasty, In laser rhinoplasty, the laser beam is the same scalpel, which is multifunctional, more accurate and faster, and also modern, which is valuable in rhinoplasty. With the help of a laser, it is much easier for a doctor to speed up the process of both the operation itself and the rehabilitation, it is easier to correct the most complex defects that require a complete “reconstruction” of the septum. Laser rhinoplasty is used when the tip of the nose is too wide, the nose is too humped, in defects arising from trauma, in congenital defects and in curvature of the nasal dorsum.
We are especially grateful to our patients who want to remove the hump from the nose with the introduction of laser nose surgery, which is an innovative technology.
Revision rhinoplasty (Secondary rhinoplasty)
Secondary rhinoplasty; It is the reoperation of a person who has had a previous nose surgery due to an aesthetic and functional problem that cannot be corrected despite the surgery or that has emerged after the surgery. Secondary rhinoplasty is called revision rhinoplasty or secondary rhinoplasty surgery. Since the surgery to be performed will be the second nose surgery, procedures such as cartilage grafting can be performed.
Rhinoplasty with non-surgical methods
Among the non-surgical techniques, the most frequently applied first technique is nasal filler.
- The Patient’s nose is shaped with various fillers. The applied filler is the fillers containing hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a connective tissue element found in your body. Since these fillers are absorbed by the body over time, they are not permanent. Example for nose filler; The patient whose nasal root has collapsed and does not want to have surgery. Filler injections are also used in shaping the nose tip for some patients.
- The second technique is nasal botox, also known as botulinum toxin. Since botulinum toxin is a muscle relaxant, it cannot be used to give shape and volume. It can be used to alleviate the pulling of the tip of the nose.
- The third technique is hanging the nose with a thread. No tissue hanging with a thread on the nose stays where it is permanently hung. It is best to consult your doctor for accurate information about this technique.
Before rhinoplasty surgery:
Things to consider before rhinoplasty surgery;
- When you come to the examination, you will be asked whether you have a different disease, the names of the medications you use regularly, whether you have allergies and your previous surgeries (it is aimed to minimize possible complications, increase the result of the surgical application and provide you with the highest patient safety conditions).
- Before your surgery date, the tests requested by your anesthesiologist, with whom your doctor works, will be performed and the results will be evaluated so that you can receive general anesthesia in the surgery.
- Aspirin etc. You should not use blood thinners containing Ibuprofen, painkillers containing Ibuprofen, flu medications at least 1 week before and 1 week after surgery.
- If you are using blood thinners and anti-rheumatic drugs such as Coumadin, you will be informed by your doctor.
- If you are using birth control pills or menstruation delays, you are asked to stop for 1 month before and 1 month after surgery.
- Roaccutane etc. If you are taking medications, you will be asked to stop taking these medications 6 months before the surgery.
- Ingredients such as vitamin E, garlic, cherry, ginseng, green tea, cinnamon, herbal teas, gotu kola, flaxseed, resveratrol (red wine extract) dilute the blood, you should not take these substances at least 1 week before the surgery.
- If you smoke, you should stop smoking 1 month before the surgery to reduce the risks of general anesthesia.
- If you have thick skin, your doctor will tell you the treatment protocol you should apply before the surgery.
- You should consult your doctor about all the medications you need to use in the 3 weeks before the surgery.
- One week before surgery, HydraFacial MD etc. You can prepare your skin for the post-operative process with a skin care treatment.
- You should take 500 mg of vitamin C supplement 2 times a day 1 week before the surgery, in this way, you can accelerate your wound healing.
- It is recommended to trim your nose hair before the operation.
How is rhinoplasty applied?
A rhinoplasty operation takes approximately 1-5 hours under suitable hospital conditions, depending on the techniques to be applied under general anesthesia. It generally does not require hospitalization. Use of internal tamponade is not preferred in general, but if it is required, internal silicon splints with canals that do not prevent breathing are used.
After the surgery, bruises and swellings may be observed around the eye. Recovery generally takes 3-5 days. The patient can get back to his/her business life one week after the operation, and by consulting his/her physician, can do sports and start to wear glasses almost one month thereafter.
Post operation recovery period varies depending on the patient’s bone, cartilage, soft tissue and type of skin. The final form of the nose after the operation depends on all these factors. The person’s expectation from the operation is very important, because the upward position and form of the nose is determined accordingly.
After all, an indicator of rhinoplasty is getting a natural nose that is fit for the face and aesthetic qualities, with no indication of surgery.
Rhinoplasty and sinusitis surgery
Sinusitis surgery is not only about nasal tissues. Some of the facial bones around the nose are hollow and have air spaces inside, where the fluids we know as mucus accumulate and inflammation occurs, this is called sinusitis. Bacteria, viruses, chemical irritants and allergens, septum deviation play a role in this inflammation.
Sinusitis can cause headache, facial pain, cough, decreased odor, fever and toothache in advanced stages. With tomography, clear results can be learned. It can be treated with antibiotics or surgery.
In sinusitis surgery, clogged paths are opened and intra-sinus polyps are cleaned. Sinusitis surgery is technically performed simultaneously with rhinoplasty, but it is recommended to be performed in separate sessions by the doctor in order not to increase the risks and prolong the operation time.
How is the post-rhinoplasty operation process?
After the rhinoplasty operation, the patient is discharged on the same day. It is normal to have swelling, bruises and slight bleeding in the early postoperative process. The way to prevent such complaints is to apply ice.
Generally, most patients experience breathing difficulties after the operation. With the recommended nasal sprays, both the edema is removed and breathing problems are eliminated. The patient gets back to his/her everyday life at the end of the 2nd day and gets rid of the plaster and suture at the end of the 6thday. Nose is a sensitive organ. For this reason, patients should avoid blows and hard exercises for three weeks at least.
Recovery of Rhinoplasty
After the procedure, a slight puffiness, bruising, edema remains on the face. After 10-14 days, it goes away. Cold compresses will relieve pain and swelling. Your doctor may prescribe a pain reliever.
Splints, tampons, and sometimes a triangular bandage on the face remain in the nasal cavity for several days. This is necessary to maintain the new shape of the noses.
After rhinoplasty, the patient is closely monitored by a specialist who monitors the healing process. It is important to follow all the instructions and recommendations of the doctor during the rehabilitation period.
It is recommended to sleep with your head elevated for several weeks and avoid strenuous physical activity. The results can be significant or minor. Depending on the degree of the desired correction. Before rhinoplasty, the purpose of the surgery should be carefully discussed with a specialist.
The effect of the procedure is permanent, although subsequent trauma and other factors can change the appearance of the nose. Rhinoplasty should be performed on a fully formed organ. Full development occurs in women aged 15-16 years, in men – 17-18. If the operation is performed earlier, then the further development of the nose can lead to a change in the surgical results, complications.
Risks of Rhinoplasty
After the operation, there are always temporary bruises, swelling, and bruising. There is a risk of some problems: bleeding, trauma and perforation of the nasal septum, skin necrosis, irritation from dressing, infection, swelling in the nose, congestion, complications from anesthesia.
It is possible that the result of rhinoplasty will not be exactly what the patient expects. After surgery, your doctor will prescribe antibiotics as a prophylaxis to reduce the risk of infection. There is a risk of problems or complications after any surgical procedure. In general, rhinoplasty is a safe procedure.
Frequently asked questions about rhinoplasty
When are the control appointments?
Controls vary according to the surgery to be performed. In general, there is a control appointment in the 1st week, 1st month, 3rd month, 6th month, 1st year, and then annually. You need to adjust your recovery period after surgery and your surgery according to your daily life and business life. You can return to your daily life on the 3rd day after rhinoplasty, and to your business life after the 1st week.
Is it necessary to do a nose massage after rhinoplasty?
Generally, no massage is required after rhinoplasty. In some special cases, if your doctor recommends you a massage, you should consider it.
Can thick skin have rhinoplasty?
If the patient has a thick-skinned nose, the thick skin is more edematous than normal. In normal cases, thin swellings go away on average in 1 year. In patients with thick skin, this process may take up to 2 years. In the treatment of patients with thick skin, there are many treatments such as cream, pill treatment before the operation, special bands after the operation, cream, pill, steroid injection. Your doctor will recommend the appropriate treatment for you.
How long does rhinoplasty surgery take?
The duration of rhinoplasty varies according to the technique to be applied and the amount of work. Therefore, a standard operating time cannot be specified. Your doctor is paying more attention than you to the structure that will play a role in your happiness throughout your life and represent you on your face.
Is it right to do rhinoplasty in summer or winter?
There is no scientific difference in terms of recovery between having nose surgery in summer or winter. It should be noted that it is recommended not to be exposed to direct sunlight and sunbathing during the recovery period. If you work outdoors, you should wear a hat. It is important that you do not have the flu in the winter, otherwise your surgery will be postponed when you have the flu. It is recommended to use routine sun cream in summer and winter seasons.
At what age should rhinoplasty be done?
The lower limits for rhinoplasty surgery are 16 years for girls and 18 years for boys. These ages are determined as the ages when bone development is completed. There is no upper age limit for rhinoplasty, individuals with good general health and no health problems that prevent surgery can do rhinoplasty.
Is rhinoplasty possible during breastfeeding?
Breastfeeding mothers can have rhinoplasty. There are some situations that should be considered; It is recommended that 6 months have passed after the birth, it is necessary to wait for a while for the swelling in pregnancy to pass. In order for the baby to be fed during the operation period, the mother should express and keep her milk ready for an estimated 1 week, thus preventing the transfer to the milk and indirectly to the baby since medication will be taken during and after the surgery.
When can I take a shower after rhinoplasty?
You can wash your body after the surgery (if the rib cartilage has not been removed). You can wash your hair by laying it back so that the plaster on the nose and the nasal splint do not get wet, or you can have it washed at the hairdresser. Although the nasal splint and the plaster on it are water resistant, you should not let water touch these structures in order to guarantee it.
Does one have breathing difficulty after the rhinoplasty?
The main reasons for breathing and snoring problems are the septum deviation, deformed nose bone and cartilage. Our doctor may ask you for a CT scan of your nose to be sure about the invisible deformities. Also examinations with an endoscope can let doctors find out the reason for breathing problems and plan the right treatment plan for the patients.
Before the operation, patients should inform doctors about allergy, sinusitis, polyp or other problems if they have. If you will not share those information with your doctor your problems may not be detected and corrected during the operation. The patient who shared those information with doctors did not experience breathing problems after the operation.
Does the nose move downwards after the rhinoplasty?
After a successful rhinoplasty, the nose does not move downwards. Persons who had a rhinoplasty due to a dropped nose tip can have a permanently uplifted and perfect nose lifelong, thanks to a rhinoplasty applied by a specialist physician. With the effect of aging, wrinkles can be observed in the nasal skin, but the nose will never turn back to its former form.
How much does rhinoplasty (nose job) cost in TURKEY?
Rhinoplasty prices vary depending on various factors. The price of rhinoplasty is determined by the result of the examination and the amount of work to be done. For example, the surgery prices of a patient who will undergo nasal tip surgery and a patient who has breathing problems or who have had surgery before cannot be the same. However, it should be noted that the same surgery prices apply to all patients who will receive the same amount of work. Otherwise, it would be unethical.
For Ministry of Health-accredited centers, it is not legal to specify prices on their website. However, you can contact us at 0212 241 46 24 for general information about Quartz Poliklinik’s Rhinoplasty Prices and for more information about Aesthetic Nose Surgery in Istanbul.